Historically, the Island K’ómoks territory extended from Salmon River to Cape Lazo/Point Holmes, and included Quadra Island. However, by the time of contact with Europeans in 1792, the Lekwiltok had already begun their aggressive southward expansion that would eventually displace the Island K’ómoks from their homelands.
Many of the remaining Island K’ómoks settled around K’ómoks Bay and Denman Island and lived among the Pentlatch whose territory extended from Cape Lazo to Fanny Bay.
The Pentlatch at this time were already greatly affected by diseases and battles. Together the Island K’ómoks and the Pentlatch (once old enemies) sought friendship and alliance for mutual protection and defence against the invading Lekwiltok. Since the mid to late 1800s, the K’ómoks have been composed of descendants of Pentlatch, various Island K’ómoks local groups, and Lekwiltok who together formed a village at the old winter village of the Pentlatch.
Today, the K’ómoks Reserve No. 1 is situated near this former village site.